Skip to main content

My experience with Self Publishing

Currently, I publish with Smashwords.com. As a writer, I can publish my books for free and they are distributed to major retail stores i.e. Apple Books, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, etc. How has this worked for me in comparison to the traditional route? While there are a few manuscripts I want to submit to publishers, as a self-published author I enjoy the freedom of writing in my own time.

I set my own deadlines, and I discipline myself to meet those dates. Do they change? Of course, life happens all the time, but again, I have the freedom to make that decision. A downside to this is everything depends on me i.e. professional editing, cover design, marketing, and promotion, etc. It's a lot of work for one person to handle, and I have yet to develop a full team around me to help with my brand as an author. So far, I have an editor and a cover designer. I'll leave the links below in case you're looking for either or. 😄

I love my cover designer. While there are others that are talented, my designer simply gets me LOL. I tell her my style, the story line, and even show some examples of what I'm looking for. She's fantastic and does an amazing job every single time at an affordable cost. As far as my editor is concerned, once again, I've developed a relationship to where she knows my "hangups." She tells me when I'm info dumping and the places in my prose that are unclear.

Can you have all of this in the traditional world? I believe so, even though I have yet to experience it. Either way, traditional or indie, I love that I get to do what I love. It didn't hit me until a few days ago when I did query a manuscipt. I love what I do. I love crafting and writing a story. Am I a bestseller? No, but I don't have to be in order to validate who I am. 

Until next time!


Professional editing with First Editing https://www.firstediting.com/
Cover Design with Vila Design https://www.viladesign.net/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arranged by Trisha Grace

  Arranged : A Clean Billionaire Romance by Trisha Grace From the first chapter, this story engrossed me. I love Hayley and her spirit. She realizes her "dream" husband is just a dream, but due to unforeseen circumstances, she must press into her faith to take care of a man that doesn't want her around. Julian doesn't see Hayley as his wife, but her kindness towards him has him questioning her intentions. I love Trisha's depiction of both faith and love in this story. Hayley and Julian are both relatable, but Hayley is definitely my favorite in this story. I love her strength, her faith in God, and how she depends on Him to help with her rocky marriage. I look forward to reading more by Trisha Grace. Beautiful story, with even more twists and turns to keep us readers guessing.

Beta Reading; What's been working for me

If you've been looking for beta readers I do recommend www.critiquematch.com , www.cpmatchmaking.wordpress.com , and the latest www.betareader.io . With Critique Match and Betareader.io, you will have to upload your manuscript, whether its pages or the full document. I do advise reviewing the tutorials, and anything else can be asked in the help desks. I will say what's been working for me, is offering to be a beta reader. Of course, I don't offer in the hopes of "what can you do for me?" If a story sparks my interest and I have the time, I don't mind helping a fellow author in my genre. I know I can't read everyone's work, but I aim to sharpen my skills when it comes to plot development, character arcs, narratives, etc. Doing this, however, I have found authors are more open to reading my work since I took the time to read theirs. Again, I'm happy to help because I love reading and writing, but this has definitely been an asset to my works in pr

What am I reading?

Currently I am reading Sunrise Cabin by Stacey Donovan. I'm in the fourth chapter so far, and I am already liking the main characters. I look forward to more. I am Hallmark obsessed so not only am I loving Countdown to Christmas, but I'm loving the books too!